Why is it needed?
Why is Citizen Advocacy needed?
Most people with disability are socially devalued, meaning that bad things have happened throughout history and continue to happen to folks who hold little or no value in our society.
These bad things include deep and ongoing rejection, segregation, neglect, abuse, poverty and isolation.
These things are often evident in:
- poor accommodation provided
- neglecting to teach the basics of life like reading or socialising
- limiting people’s opportunities to experience even the ordinary things of life
- lowly employment with little development or pay
- irrelevant or no supports
- having no friendships – only paid staff
- almost daily reports of people with disability having their rights violated, being stolen from, abused or even killed